We believe yoga is for people of all shapes, sizes and experiences. This resource center contains useful information about the study and practice of yoga. Explore different articles for a general feel of the many lineages and styles of yoga, understand the benefits of developing a regular practice and find the class and teacher that are right for you. Check back often as we add articles and useful information on a regular basis.
Send relevant scholarly articles to email@example.com to be added to this page.
Yoga Alliance, the largest nonprofit supporting yoga, provides an excellent start to answering the question – What is yoga?
“Of all the things we as physicians can recommend for health, few provide as much benefit as physical activity.” – Aaron E. Carroll, Closest Thing to a Wonder Drug? Try Exercise, The New York Times
“The regular practices of yoga for a period of five months by young healthy engineering students enhance different types of cognitive skills [and] resulted in many health benefits such as improvement in heart rate variability. [Yoga] practices resulted in effective improvements in physiological parameters, indirectly improving psychological parameters and various cognitive functions.” – Nagendra et al (2015), Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
“The results suggest that yoga produces improvements in emotional functioning in healthy subjects and people who suffer from some physical illnesses, particularly in psychological self-reported variables. In summary, emerging evidence suggests that yoga may help foster healthier psychological responses, indicating its potential as an emotion regulation strategy.” – Menezes et al (2015), Psychology & Neuroscience
For more resources to learn about the benefits of yoga and other mindfulness practices, visit Yoga Alliance’s Index of Yoga Research.
- The Bhagavad Gita: Krishna’s Counsel in Time of War translation by Barbara Stoler Miller
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali translation by Sri Swami Satchidananda
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T.K.V. Desikachar
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff & Amy Matthews
- Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika by B.K.S Iyengar
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Autobiography of a Yogi
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- The Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth by Robert Svoboda
- The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice by Georg Feuerstein
- Wake Up Now by Stephan Bodian
- The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work by Donna Farhi